[Ponte Alto] Weekly Rundown- 2/14

Mariana Ruiz de Medina marianaruizdemedina at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 05:46:36 PST 2022

Happy Monday Ponte Alto!

Happy St. Valentine's Day to all who celebrate! In honor of the occasion, I
am very excited to announce the opening of an SCA women's studies group,
currently headed by our very own Lady Esa as the Society Arts and Sciences
Deputy for Women's Studies! Check out the Facebook group here
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/scawomensstudiesunofficial>.

This week's recipe of the week comes from another favorite SCA food
resource and features a tie in to our favorite saint of the day. The first
thing to note is that it's not actually a savory recipe, but could very
easily belong at home in a cheese course or other savory remove. One of
Saint Valentine's patronages is beekeepers, and so choosing a honey recipe
felt fitting for the day. This recipe highlights one of my favorite things
about medieval cooking, which is the challenge to change our perspectives
as modern eaters. Mundanely, ginger, cinnamon, and honey feature often
prominently in sweeter applications, but their uses are varied and they are
delicious in savory applications too. In this recipe in particular, the
black pepper brings out the smokier, more savory notes of the other two
spices very pleasantly! Try this recipe with a soft ripened goat cheese and
it'll really shine. Find the recipe here
<http://www.godecookery.com/begrec/begrec95.htm>.

*Updates for the Week*

   -

   We are still in need of largess! Contact Her Excellency to learn more.
   -

   Kingdom Arts and Sciences is quickly approaching! Now is a great time to
   start planning out your displays and competition entries!
   -

   The deadline for the Persona Challenge is 3/5! Sign up here
   <https://forms.gle/kez9zjLKzVSNYgB3A>.

*Events this Week*

   -

   Tuesday, 2/15, 7 pm- University Spotlight: Taking on A&S Challenges for
   Entrants and Judges. Check out the Facebook event here.
   <https://fb.me/e/1za6xic6E>
   -

   *Wednesday, 2/16, 6 pm- A&S Night: Savory Food Block Check In.* On Zoom,
   see the Facebook event here <https://fb.me/e/15U4u8J9i>.

*Upcoming A&S Opportunities- February and March 2022*

   - *Day of Love II*- February 26. Quite a few wonderful looking classes,
   schedule is up on the website
   <https://paganussca.wixsite.com/website/a-s-competitions>.
   - *Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival- *March 5, quite a few things
   including Royal Brewer, Royal Baker, Duke Gyrth Memorial Smackdown, Persona
   Pentathlon, and more. See the event website here
   <https://kasf.atlantia.sca.org/>.
   - *Nottinghill Coill Baronial Birthday-* March 12. Half-dozen largesse
   competition, newcomer A&S competition, other A&S and bardic competitions.
   New A&S and Bardic championships will also take place. See event listing
   for more info. <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=6182bad22a46b>
   - *Gulf Wars-* March 12-20. Several classes as well as Artisans War
   Point. More info on the website
   <https://www.gulfwars.org/activities/arts-sciences-2/classes/class-schedule/>
   here.
   - *Raven's Cove Baronial Birthday-* March 19. Bardic, brewing, garb and
   more! See the event website
   <https://baronyofravenscoveevent.weebly.com/arts-and-science.html> here.
   - *Defending the Gate-* March 26. Some sort of display and competition. Keep
   an eye on the website for details
   <http://sudentorre.atlantia.sca.org/events/defending-the-gate-xiv/>
   - *Virtual In a Phoenix Eye-* March 26. Gallery, discussion, solars, and
   panels. More info to come on the event page.
   <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=eea86829>
   - *Fiber Arts Workshop-* March 26. Workshops and displays. See the event
   page here. <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=d59a9122>
   - *Persona Development Challenges for TRH Adelhait and Cuan*- 4
   different deadlines, works in progress accepted until TRH's final court at
   Fall Coronation. Check out the details on the Facebook post here
   <https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3178606279025406&set=gm.2202532893218033>
   and register here <https://forms.gle/kez9zjLKzVSNYgB3A>!

--
YIS,