[Archers] Legality of 3Rivers large bodkins

Allen Miller wolfhou at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 05:10:07 PDT 2011

Ladies and gentlemen

I have used the three rivers large bodkins and find that they work well against the targets that I make stuffed with plastic bags they also make little more damage against the cardboard and foam backing targets which we use here in Sudentorre.  If you want to shoot them on ranges which I set up and run please do so. I think that they look so much better and the additional damage is minimal.  The only place where I find potentially significant additional damage is when you hit the wooden frames and they can be a bear to remove.

I would also suggest that we should be encouraging to the extent possible anything which gives such a great medieval feel to our efforts.

As one of out past kings said we are at our best when we encourage people to find ways to try things not making rules to stop them.  The questions should be: 1. is it safe, 2 is it medieval, 3 does it enhance what we do, 4 then look at the costs. For the large bodkin points I think that the answers are Yes, Yes, Yes at minimal additional costs.

I would suggest that we should allow them. If you are the MIC and feel that your targets will take too much damage, you may ask that they not be used on your range.

Allen