[Ponte Alto] Weekly Rundown- 2/7

Mariana Ruiz de Medina marianaruizdemedina at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 05:52:02 PST 2022

Happy Monday Ponte Alto!

Congratulations to all our Uni staff members, teachers, and TA's for
another resounding success this last weekend. I hope everyone was able to
attend at least a small part, and learn something new.

We are a week or so into our Savory food block and I wanted to share a
recipe of the week as well as a resource for all those who weren't able to
join us last week. MedievalCookery.com is one of my go-to resources for
recipes from all over the world, both translations and redactions. This
week's recipe of the week is from Germany (thinking ahead to our next
block) and *Ein Buch von guter speise
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts/buch.html>. *This recipe, called
King's Chicken (number 28), is a spiced and roasted chicken dish featuring
some classic spices found in our period: anise, ginger, and saffron. What
makes this recipe fun is that different translations give you very
different results! One translation by Melitta Anderson
<https://www.worldcat.org/title/daz-buch-von-guter-spise-the-book-of-good-food-a-study-edition-and-english-translation-of-the-oldest-german-cookbook/oclc/717562076>
has
the dish almost casserole or pie like
<http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/kingschicken.html>, with a ground
chicken filling. Another translation (linked above in the book title) does
not include this grinding, but instead has larger pieces of chicken that
are then roasted with the eggs and herbs.

*Updates for the Week*

   -

   We are still in need of largess! Contact Her Excellency to learn more.
   -

   Kingdom Arts and Sciences is quickly approaching! Now is a great time to
   start planning out your displays and competition entries!
   -

   The deadline for the Persona Challenge is 3/5! Sign up here
   <https://forms.gle/kez9zjLKzVSNYgB3A>.

*Events this Week*

*Upcoming A&S Opportunities- February and March 2022*

   - *Ymir-* February 11. Gold Key item, Feast Bardic, Norse vs Celtic Art,
   Hoard Finds, classes, and Brewer's table, keep an eye on the website
   <http://www.ymir.windmastershill.org/>.
   - *Bright Hills Baronial Birthday*- February 12. Has been moved virtual.
   A&S includes Baronial Champion, Novice, and Bardic. Sign up for spots on
   the website <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=8e881e63>.
   - *Day of Love II*- February 26. Quite a few wonderful looking classes,
   schedule is up on the website
   <https://paganussca.wixsite.com/website/a-s-competitions>.
   - *Tournament of Love and Beauty*- awaiting virtual updates, For more
   information see the website
   <https://sites.google.com/view/tournament-of-love-and-beauty/home?authuser=1>
   .
   - *Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival- *March 5, quite a few things
   including Royal Brewer, Royal Baker, Duke Gyrth Memorial Smackdown, Persona
   Pentathlon, and more. See the event website here
   <https://kasf.atlantia.sca.org/>.
   - *Nottinghill Coill Baronial Birthday-* March 12. Half-dozen largesse
   competition, newcomer A&S competition, other A&S and bardic competitions.
   New A&S and Bardic championships will also take place. See event listing
   for more info. <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=6182bad22a46b>
   - *Gulf Wars-* March 12-20. Several classes as well as Artisans War
   Point. More info on the website
   <https://www.gulfwars.org/activities/arts-sciences-2/classes/class-schedule/>
   here.
   - *Raven's Cove Baronial Birthday-* March 19. Bardic, brewing, garb and
   more! See the event website
   <https://baronyofravenscoveevent.weebly.com/arts-and-science.html> here.
   - *Defending the Gate-* March 26. Some sort of display and competition. Keep
   an eye on the website for details
   <http://sudentorre.atlantia.sca.org/events/defending-the-gate-xiv/>
   - *Virtual In a Phoenix Eye-* March 26. Gallery, discussion, solars, and
   panels. More info to come on the event page.
   <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=eea86829>
   - *Fiber Arts Workshop-* March 26. Workshops and displays. See the event
   page here. <https://atlantia.sca.org/event/?event_id=d59a9122>
   - *Persona Development Challenges for TRH Adelhait and Cuan*- 4
   different deadlines, works in progress accepted until TRH's final court at
   Fall Coronation. Check out the details on the Facebook post here
   <https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3178606279025406&set=gm.2202532893218033>
   and register here <https://forms.gle/kez9zjLKzVSNYgB3A>!