[Ponte Alto] Buying a Tent (advice please?)

David Chessler chessler at usa.net
Sat Oct 18 18:12:11 PDT 2008

Modern tents are treated with flame retardants. It's required by law. You can
ask the manufacturer what they use.

Canvas is naturally quite water resistant. The fibers swell when wet.
Unfortunately, if untreated the canvas is touched on the inside, it will leak
until it has dried and been re-soaked. touching the leak and running a finger
down the wall will prevent a drip.

There used to be many canvas treatments containing waxes that would further
waterproof the tent. Most of these have gone out of use because they are
highly flammable.

Currently, most large tents of the sort used in the SCA are made of a material
called "Sunforger." It is resistant to ultraviolet deterioration (which is a
problem you did not mention--there are treatments), and has a good reputation
for being waterproof and maintaining water resistance.

There are several manufacturers that specialize in tents that can pass for
period. The form will be different from most modern tents, including most
modern canvas tents.

SITE MAP--MEDIEVAL PAVILION RESOURCES
http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/

SCA Juried Merchants List: Tents & Camping Stuff
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/merchants/index.tents.html

Pavilion & Tent Merchants
http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=1115

--