[Ponte Alto] Stepping Down

Jeffrey C French jcfrench at mac.com
Mon Oct 20 07:42:25 PDT 2008

Unto the populace of Ponte Alto,
   It is with a sad heart that I bring this news. On Sunday October 12th, Flora resigned as Baroness. After careful consideration, I have decided to stay on as Baron until Kingdom Twelfth Night in Stierbach. This will allow King Jason and Queen Gerhild an opportunity to poll the populace of Ponte Alto and select proper successors for our Barony.

    When Flora resigned as Baroness, I faced a difficult choice. Should I continue as Baron of Ponte Alto alone? When I looked into my heart, I found that the answer was no. Being Baron is really fun, but it is also a strong bit of service, and a personal sacrifice. Here my considerations. First, Flora & I ran together, and have shared the responsibilities and joys of being Baron & Baroness. The Barony is the fourth priority in my life. My first priority is my son & myself. My second priority is my extended family; my 90 year old grandparents live in Alexandria, and require frequent help. My third priority is my job. Fortunately, my job is very stable, and not particularly demanding.

    The Barony is and has always been my fourth priority. The SCA is a hobby, for fun. As Baron, I think long and hard about the good of the barony, and what needs to happen for our chapter to look good and succeed. We are blessed by having a strong barony with diverse natural talent. I admit that my focus has been on heavy fighting, but the strength of Ponte Alto's arts, service, rapier, and archery communities have led to Ponte Alto continuing to excel in these and other activities.

Over the past month, the Baronage of Ponte Alto covered three responsibilities:
1) Chalice/Coronation
2) Investiture of Lochmere / Siege of Glengary
3) War of the Wings

    Of these three or four responsibilities, Flora covered most of them. My grandparents had significant medical operations and lifetime milestones that prevented me from living up to my responsibilities at Chalice & War of the Wings. Going forward, family concerns are likely to take precedence in my life again. Ponte Alto deserves a Baronage that can collectively honor Baronial commitments. Without Flora, I can not be sure of that.

    I love Ponte Alto. I love being Baron of Ponte Alto. I never intended to be Baron without Flora as my Baroness. The best thing for the Barony is to find a Baron and/or Baroness who can live up to the responsibilities of the Barony without the kinds of issues that are currently impacting Flora and myself. For the good of the Barony, I have asked their Majesties to conduct an early polling to find suitable successors for Flora and myself. I will continue to serve as Baron to the full extent of my ability until Kingdom Twelfth Night, by which time their Majesties will have selected the next Baron and Baroness of Ponte Alto.

    I thank you all for your support and kindness. Difficult times have been made easier by all of my friends in the SCA. Thank you.

-Jurgen, Baron of Ponte Alto