[Ponte Alto] Recruitment

Kevin of Thornbury kevin at sword.net
Tue May 8 03:59:53 PDT 2007

On 5/7/07, egeorges <egeorges at cox.net> wrote:
> What do we really get out of using aliases,
> anyway, other than some comforting symmetry between our website and our
> email addresses?

It's almost as if she were waving a blue and gold flag, isn't it?  ;-)

There are a couple of real benefits to having the e-mail forwarders:

* They are easy to remember.  One doesn't need to know who an
individual is to send them e-mail.  As Renata wrote recently, there
are a lot of new faces and some of them have stepped up to baronial
office.  I have a hard enough time keeping up with those I already
know, so I don't know who's serving in various baronial jobs
currently.  If I wanted to e-mail our chancellor of the exchequer,
however, I've always got the address.

* Though the people change, the address stays the same.

* It provides privacy from having one's personal e-mail disclosed.  In
order to capitalize on this of course, officers need to set their
From/Reply-To addresses as the officer address, too.

I knew, when I created the first role addresses for the kingdom, that
there would be snags.  Quite frankly, when I administered the kingdom
and SCA servers, the problems usually came in the form of bounces from
the final e-mail address, not from an SCA server failure.  This
includes actual undeliverable mail, but more frequently it was the
officer's personal ISP thinking the mail coming from the SCA server
was spam.  I had to handle blacklisting by various destinations, and
it seems to be a constant battle sometimes.

Of course, the real issue has to be determined by the current kingdom
web minister.  The SMTP logs should lend some insight.  One just needs
to report the problem...
--
+ Kevin Maxson, OP