[Ponte Alto] Please Read! Another Possible Indoor Site For BaronialActivities

Barbara barb at ravenstreet.org
Fri Dec 21 15:09:17 PST 2007

Hi, I'm not an officer, but I have a few thoughts and questions from over
here in the back seats.

First thought is: the barony has money, and we don't build it up just to sit
on; we want to use it for something that helps the group and furthers our
educational mission. But my second thought is:  $130 a week would deplete
that money at a rapid pace.

Lets see...the financial liability would be anywhere from:  $520 (Half of
$130 * 8 weeks) TO $1560 (worst case, with no donations, of $130 * 12
weeks). Is that accurate?

That's a lot of silent auction receipts.  I'm sure that we who helped raise
the money for the barony really WANT to support the fighters and have a
well-recognized army; on the other hand, that fighting community was
represented by only a small handful last weekend when we were raising money,
and support should be two-way, in my opinion.

Still, promises of donations were mentioned.  Which leads to my questions
about the mechanisms of this:

- What kind of contract needs to be signed?  (Remember that only seneschals
can sign contracts)  For how long a commitment is required?
- Regardless of promises of donations, the barony would still be responsible
for financial obligations listed in the contract, yes?
- How "immediate" is the immediate answer needed?  And what is driving the
need for an immediate answer?  It is always a concern when the Emergency
Financial Committee needs to make a decision, rather than allowing the
regular process to be worked through and voted on at the barony meeting.
- Is there possibilities for a provisional approval for a limited time by
the emergency financial committee, pending a longer-term decision based on a
full vote at a barony meeting.
- Do you have a plan for collecting donations at the practices?  Note that
per society/kingdom laws and policies that:
a) anyone collecting SCA money must be at least 18 and be an SCA member
b) money needs to be deposited within 14 days
c) money can not be deposited into a personal account and then forwarded -
it must go into the group account.

I doubt that the exchequer is going to want to commit to being at every
practice, so someone is going to have to be responsible for getting the
funds to the exchequer on a regular basis, and a form of check/balance needs
to be set up, not unlike we do for managing the an event's cash box.

I want to be clear that I'm NOT against doing this.  I just want to make
sure that decision makers have a clear understanding of all the facts and
implications, and that YOU have a clear understanding of what you're getting
yourself into too!

(Gee...I don't suppose they have enough room for siege?   Combat archery?
No, I didn't think so. <pout>)

Mistress Anne of Carthew
OL, OP