[Ponte Alto] Pennsic -- Baroness' Report

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 17:08:12 PDT 2007

Unto the Populace of Ponte Alto, does Baroness
Belphoebe sends greetings!

As most of you are aware by now, Pennsic XXXVI was a
wet, hot and stormy affair.  Nevertheless, it was a
lot of fun and our fellow Pontoons showed their mettle
in more than one way.

Braving the heat and the rain, our troops
distinguished themselves on the armored and rapier
field, as well as the archery shoots, while our siege
engineers rained death and terror on our opponents
while wearing the black and gold.

Moreover, our spiffy artisans showed their work at the
Pennsic A&S exhibit, demonstrating the quality of
their skill and research.  Our singers from Alle
Psallite joined the Pennsic Choir and lent their
voices to a wonderful show.

Everywhere we went, His Excellency and I were stopped
by people and congratulated for the excellence of our
populace.

On Thursday evening, more than 35 people attended
Ponte Alto Court despite the driving rain and the
threats of 70 MPH winds and hail.  When our Monarchs
showed up, they were impressed by the good spirits of
our people, who were huddled up under Plastic
Fantastic while the heavens poured and thundered all
around.

In that regard, it is with great pride that we would
like to announce that the new Youth Rapier Champion is
our own Thomas Bend, who has been training with us
since he was 14.  He was appointed to this post during
Royal Court on Wednesday evening at the Barn.  Also
during Royal Court, a new Award was bestowed upon four
members of our Barony - The Award of the Gilded
Portcullis.  The recipients were Mistress Anne of
Carthew, Mistress Allesondrea de Fano, Lady Celia of
Rosedale, and Lady Cassandra Arabella Giordani.  This
Award was given in recognition of their many, many
hours over the years volunteering at Pennsic Troll.

During TRM visit to Ponte Alto Baronial Court, Lord
Matthew Dredge was given the Award of the Fountain for
his courtesy on the battlefield at the past King's
Assessments.  Next, Lord Jurgen Gurfsbotter was
inducted into the Order of the Coral Branch in
recognition of his skill at weaving and, most
importantly, his brewing.

Lord William of Kenilworth was called next, and
inducted into the Order of the Opal for his dedicated
service to the Kingdom.  Last, but not least, His
Majesty called Lady Brigid O' Hara and awarded her his
Shark's Tooth for her courage on the battlefield,
braving spears, arrows and ballista bolts in order to
glean the necessary ammo to keep six arballests going
during the Wall Battle.  This is the first Shark's
Tooth awarded to a siege engineer in all the history
of the Kingdom.

At Ponte Alto Court, Lord Miles de Lockwode requested
a moment at Court, where he called Lady Brigid O'Hara,
Lady Cassandra Arabella Giordani, Sir Thomas of
Calais, and Lady Flora de Bayeux, and announced their
new archery rankings.  When he was done, His
Excellency and myself informed him that he was not
dismissed yet and we proceeded to bestow upon him the
Onore del Ponte di Ferro for his tireless work with
the Ponte Alto archery program.

Next, Master Tirloch received the Onore del Ponte
d'Oro for the years of service to the Barony in
various ways.

Sir Guy Lestrange, was next recognized with the Onore
of the Ponte di Ferro for his contribution and
leadership to our Armored community, while Damien,
Miles, Matthew and Samantha received Beads of Ponte
Alto for their help with our Baronial encampment.

William of Kenilworth was called then and inducted
into the Order of the Garland for his silent -- but
effective -- work for the Barony, which includes his
yearly pilgrimage to Pennsic to help set up camp, go
back home, and return to break out camp.

Last but not least, James de Biblesworth was inducted
into the Order of the Garland as well for his years of
service to the Barony, including his work with
newcomers, his role an Officer of this Barony, and his
work with A&S.

At the end of Court, the sun finally showed up and the
merciless rain stopped.  That's when we decided to
take a picture of all of us who attended Court during
the Deluge of 2007, and the last Pennsic Court of
Marcellus and myself as your Baronage.

We have called the group picture, "The Pennsic XXXVI
Ponte Alto Synchronized Swim Team."  William has sent
me a copy and, with his permission, I will be sharing
it with you soon.

In typical William's silent generosity, he took the
picture and he does not apper in it.  But he was there
and we love him for that.

Yours in Service,

Belphoebe