[Ponte Alto] Coin Dies

Barbara Reed bereed26 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 13:46:11 PST 2006

Forwarded by request.

Greta

Kreed typed:

If these are the coin dies I'm thinking of, they were
made for our investiture at the founding of Ponte
Alto. During our term as B&B there were many coins
struck and put into circulation at Baronial event. At
many events, such as the Roses Tourney series, the Sea
Dog Tavern, the Palio, the Passe d'Arme, etc, the
coins were needed for event transactions like
purchasing services, trading, bestowing favor and
gambling. I seem to remember one event where you used
coins some of the you got a check-in to buy lunch at
the tavern, and tip your server.

Ponte Alto was part of the Earl Sir Daffyd's movement
to introduce coins into SCA use. I know we coordinated
with him on our coins, since he was handling the
kingdom coin distribution. I don't know if he had any
direct other role. I'm am trying to recall who had the
dies made. I think that Scott Rakow / Sir Grethfurth
was involved, or he might remember. Mistress Winifred
was seneschal at the time and she might remember.

One reason the coinage movement died out was that in
stead of circulating the coins, people kept them as
souvenirs. New coins had to be struck to keep the
system going. Another reason was that the cost of the
"gold" blanks was less than the cost of the "silver"
blanks, although the exchange rate was, I recall, 5
silver to one gold.
Money-making was a money-losing business.

Please feel free to correct if anyone recalls
differently.

Ken / Niall