[Ponte Alto] Something We talking about at a New Comers meeting.

Suzanne beach rhiannon_kilrain at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 18:00:45 PDT 2006

A suggestion: The Potomac Celtic Festival
  http://www.pcfest.org/

  Every year in Leesburg VA there's a Celtic festival at Morven Park. this year it's the weekend of June 17th and 18th. it's probably much too late to set up any kind of demo for this year but if anyone would like to go in costume, hang out, and possibly hand out some fliers on the SCA it could be a really good opportunity. Even if we can't use it for recruiting purposes it's a lot of fun to go to. there are displays on different styles and time periods of celtic clothing, living history presenters, merchants, storytellers, dance groups, bagpipers, other musical performances, food (typical carnival food + copious amounts of beer) and as i mentioned before, the night concerts are reeeeeaaallly good. Gaelic Storm was there last year, ( http://gaelicstorm.musiccitynetworks.com/index.htm ) and this year will be "The Prodigals." I haven't heard of them but maybe some of you have.( www.prodigals.com )

  well, just wanted to share :-)

  ~Rhiannon

james barker <flonzy at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Sir Guy and Master Kevin

Currently looking for demos in the weekend section is something I don't do,
I reply to folks who submit requests for demos, cub scouts, boy scouts,
libraries, and schools. I think it is a great idea to look for opportunities
but I truthfully am a bad person for the searching end of things but I am
more than willing to work with someone good at finding such opportunities
coordinate with the event organizers.

I know the city of Alexandria holds parades from time to time we could march
in, all a group has to do is apply and have insurance.

I have a contact in the Fairfax county library system, we are on schedule to
do 2 Sunday demos in July (I will post more soon) for their summer reading
program. One is at Reston library and one is at Pohick library in Burke. I
know Pohick has a large outdoor area with sports fields; but they are all on
one open piece of land unlike the library we hold practice at, plus its is
in view of a major road way. I have been kicking around the idea of asking
to be able to run a full demo outside at the same time as the one for the
kids. Even if they say no for those days we might be able to get permission
for such demos at a later date. Also if we get such permission maybe we
should contact the paper to see if we can get in the weekend section again.

I personally don't recall us, Ponte Alto, doing a recruitment demo in the
last 4 years since I joined the SCA full time. Last one I recall hearing of
was held in DC on the mall by Storvik.

James