FW: [Ponte Alto] Fundraising

Andrew Grey andrewgrey at cox.net
Sun Mar 27 19:12:43 PST 2005

Good Day!

> As for the donation to the ADA (a cause near & dear to
> my heart, as my mother is diabetic), I believe that is
> was suggested by Master Kevin at the business meeting
> in November.  Those who were at the meeting voted on
> the donation.  I was under the impression that this
> had beendiscussed with Duchess Melisande before the
> event.

Let me be clear:  I have no problem with the barony donating the proceeds fo
rthe event to charity.  In fact, I think it is wholly appropriate and I
supported that move to the fullest.  The donations was not only supported by
Duchess Melisande, she was so very thankful to the populace for its
largesse.

> In hindsight (which is often, but not always, 20/20),
> perhaps this should have been discussed on the Ponte
> Alto email list first.  However, I think that those
> who suggested it & voted on this action were trying to
> do what they felt was the right thing, and to honor an
> individual who had such an enormous impact on so many
> lives & whose passing has left a large hole in many of
> our hearts.

And their actions toward the ADA did just that.  I'm sure the big guy's
irish eyes are smilin' at that gesture.

That said, my problem with the fundraising has *nothing* to do with the ADA
contributions or the barony's role therein.  I believe that action was good,
just and a proper use of funds.

However, raising funds for the Kingdom Travel Fund is a whole different
issue.

It was ill-advised and, I believe in exceedingly poor taste, to piggyback a
fundraiser off of Gyrth's memory.  I find that horribly offensive.

Andrew