[Ponte Alto] Protocols and such.

David J. Aronson vfemvqh02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Feb 11 11:12:20 PST 2003

"Courtney of Caer Dubh caerdubh-at-yahoo.com" wrote:

> Rather, I was hoping to kick off my tenure by
> soliciting ideas from the Populace as a whole, and
> getting any ideas from everyone of what else they
> would like to see there! I am open to a picture
> gallery of officers so people and newcomers can
> recognize them at events (provided I have permission
> to post their pictures),

If there is space on the server, and time from volunteers to keep it up
to date, there are many more people whose pictures could be useful.  For
instance, any gentles who:
- Move into our barony
- Join up while here
- Want to lead some research or activity
  (such as, say, 14th Century French personae, Hindu personae,
   embroidery, arranging demos, advising would-be autocrats, etc.)
- Are painfully shy and wish more people would come up to them and
  introduce themselves  B-)

The whole endeavor opens many cans of worms, though, such as how much
contact info to give.  Even those who don't want their pictures or any
contact info such as mundane name, email address, URL, etc., might want
at least their SCA name listed.

As for other goodies to put on the site, maybe:

- A calendar grid with the events marked on the days.  The weekly
schedule page is a good start, but might be "splashier" in a graphical
display format.

- Polls (obviously not binding for official polls, but little informal
ones could be fun).

- Videos of combat/dancing/feasting/etc.

- Games (perhaps a simple "hit the castle with the trebuchet" sort of
thing) or other activities (build a device?) that could be done in Flash
or as a Java applet.

Also, I haven't been keeping track of changes on it, so I dunno how
often it changes, but maybe you could add a signup form to get notified
of changes.  Back when NetMind was free, I had this on my "What's New on
This Site" page, which is another thing to consider if the site gets big
enough to warrant it.

> Something else to consider, the Barony is now paying a
> nominal monthly fee for the space and upkeep of the
> website on the Kingdom web server.  Let's beef up our
> existing site rather than spreading such valuable
> resources and energy in too many places!

On the other claw, given that we ARE in Northern Virginia, Internet
Capital of the World, we probably have so many people running web
servers, that at least one might be willing to host our ENTIRE site for
us for free!

> Can I interest you in a Deputy's post?   ;>

Hmmmm.  Being currently unemployed, I do have some time to spare and
could use the experience and exposure.  See email off-list.

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer for hire in Washington DC area.
See http://destined.to/program/ for online resume, references, etc.