[MR] Cosmeston Medieval Village, South Wales

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 02:44:12 PDT 2024

Noble friends,

Continuing my dissection of the Luttrell Psalter Film, one of the shooting
locations in the credits was Cosmeston Medieval Village in the Vale of
Glamorgan, South Wales.

This location is a reconstruction of an actual Welsh village dating from
the 14th century. Foundations of the village buildings were discovered in
1978 during construction of a county park. Too good an opportunity to pass
up, the buildings were conjecturally rebuilt from the foundations up, and
the site became a living history museum and education centre.

The building which the woman with the drop spindle enters around time
signature 9:44 appears to be "Jake's Cottage" at Cosmeston. It also appears
that the cart in one of the scenes with that black duck and her goose
friends was filmed at Cosmeston. That cart appears in the Comeston video
clip, along with a lot of other carts (I love medieval carts and wagons
almost as much as I love ducks!).

The village's web site has a number of interesting features, besides the
aforementioned video clip, and includes a really nice map of the
reconstructed area (the village was actually much larger):
https://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/en/enjoying/Coast-and-Countryside/cosmeston-lakes-country-park/cosmeston-medieval-village/Cosmeston-Medieval-Village.aspx
.
If that address is too much to handle, just point your browser to
"Cosmeston Medieval Village".

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.