[MR] Wikipedia: Birth of Charles The Bold

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 02:48:24 PST 2023

Noble Friends,

Most of you know that I am a Burgundy geek, not the wine (so much), but the
Duchy. So today I call your attention to the 1433 birth of Charles the
Bold, the last Duke of Burgundy in the House of Valois.

Charles was the only legitimate son of the extremely randy Philip the Good,
who was much better at turning out illegitimate children (26 are known)
with his many mistresses. I have often wondered why a man with virtually no
chin could be so attractive, but he was the richest man in Europe after the
Pope. Lack of a chin probably didn't matter. But I digress.

Charles, known as "Charles the Rash" to his detractors, was a courageous
soldier, but a poor general. He finally bought the farm at the Battle of
Nancy in 1477, and with his death the Burgundian empire in western Europe
imploded.

You can read more about Charles at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_the_Bold .

Our Mallard Lodge Household blog has a piece on the history of Burgundy,
with a focus on Antoine de Bourgogne, the Grand Bastard of Burgundy.
Antoine was Charles' half-brother and his right-hand man:
https://mallardlodgehousehold.blogspot.com/2023/05/anthony-grand-bastard-and-burgundys.html
.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.