[MR] The Bastard of Burgundy, Antoine de Bougogne

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 02:22:54 PDT 2023

Noble Friends,

Last year I wrote a biography piece on Anthony, The Grand Bastard of
Burgundy as he was known to the English. Besides being a biographical
sketch on one of the most interesting people in the late middle ages, it is
also a capsule history of the Duchy of Burgundy under the House of Valois.
If you read this story, you will know why I am a Burgundy geek.

The piece was originally intended as a University of Atlantia class, but it
is too long. I think I submitted it to TOURNAMENTS ILLUMINATED, but that
journal seems to be defunct at the moment. Rather than let it go to waste,
the story has been mounted on the Mallard Lodge Household blog pages at
https://mallardlodgehousehold.blogspot.com .

My apologies for not including bibliographical references. I gathered some
of the information from sources in Alderman Library at the University of
Virginia when I worked there some ten years ago. Except for the facade,
Alderman Library has been torn down and the books are in storage, so I have
no way of recreating the references.

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to write. Maybe someday
I will do a similar stories on some of the Dukes, who were also fascinating.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Keeping Merry Rose relevant and in business for 16 years