[MR] BBC: Tower Raven "Merlina" Missing

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 02:50:42 PST 2021

Noble Friends,

My apologies for this not being a truly period post, but it does concern
the Tower of London and thus might be of interest to many of us.

Merlina, unofficial Queen of the Tower Ravens, has been missing for several
weeks, and is feared dead. Ravenmaster and Yeoman Warder Christopher Skaife
is devastated by the loss.

The Tower ravens have had royal protection since the reign of Charles II.
According to legend the King planned to have the ravens exterminated
because they pooped all over a telescope the King had installed at the
Tower for his Astronomer Royal. He was told a prophecy claimed that if the
ravens ever left the tower, the monarchy and the nation would fall. The
telescope was relocated to Greenwich (now the Royal Observatory) and the
ravens were allowed to stay and poop where they pleased. Today at least six
ravens are kept at the tower (usually with one or two spares) under care of
a Ravenmaster.

Here is the BBC story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55651104 .

More about the ravens is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravens_of_the_Tower_of_London .

Ravenmaster Christopher Skaife has written a delightful book on his
adventures with these amazing birds: *Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens
at the Tower of London* (ISBN 9780374113346). I highly recommend this book
to all.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆