[MR] History Blog: Croatian Jousting Match and 17th C Gun

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 02:14:18 PDT 2020

Noble friends, Especially Equestrians,

Today the History Blog feature concerns a bronze mačkula, a type of mortar,
found at the castle Nečven in Croatia. The weapon is not unlike some gunnes
from the 16th century.

The History Blog features a brief film clip showing an annual jousting
festival held at Nečven. The costumes and other schtick are 17th century,
but I'm sure most of you will enjoy the film, and there are probably ideas
here our equestrians can use. A mačkula is fired for each perfect lance
strike (only once in the film). I'm astounded at how casual the joust
organizers are a about crowd safety around the horses.

Enjoy the story and show at http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/58635 .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆