[MR] Friendly reminder about web safety

Webminister, Atlantia webminister at atlantia.sca.org
Tue Apr 21 05:47:48 PDT 2020

TL;DR – We’re all using the internet a lot for SCA stuff these days. Be
safe out there. Here are some reminders on how to do that.

Did you know that it's Kingdom Internet Security Day? No? Oh. Well, I guess
that's because it isn't... but it COULD be!

With so much of our SCA life happening online now seems like as good of a
time as any to remind everybody of some basic best practices for users.
This list is by no means exhaustive, and it's all stuff we've heard
hundreds of times before, but sometimes we all need a reminder. There is no
guarantee that following any guidelines will fully protect anyone. This
list should not be considered professional advice. This is a good faith
effort to help ensure that we can all enjoy a safe online experience.

Get current:
Make sure you're running current operating systems, with patches installed
(auto updates are usually your friend). Likewise, use an up to date
browser.

Defend thy castle:
Modern AV tools, with up to date definitions, provide broad protections and
often offer additional tools that will do things like warning about
suspicious websites and automatically scanning file downloads.

Passwords *head desk* Passwords:
You all know the rules: change your passwords regularly, use a mix of upper
and lower case, numbers, 8+ characters, etc. No password reuse. No password
sharing. There are a variety of password managers on the market that can
help you to manage and maintain safer and more secure passwords.

Safe browsing:
Look before you click. Think before you install it. Occasionally review
your browser & application security or privacy settings. Limit what you
share. Always look for the 'lock' icon, indicating a secure connection,
before entering a password or conducting business. Don't be afraid to close
your browser on occasion. THINK BEFORE YOU POST. Do you need to post your
name and address to that site?
This is, by no means, a complete list but 'an ounce of prevention is worth
a pound of cure'.

Be safe out there everyone!

Melchior zum grauen Wolf
Yours in Service, Ciphers, & Stabbings,