[MR] Wikipedia: Wells Cathedral

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 03:23:20 PDT 2019

Noble Friends,

Today's featured Wikipedia photo shows the spectacular nave of Wells
Cathedral: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page . This naturally leads
to the site's main article on the Cathedral in total:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Cathedral .

Wells Cathedral is not only noted for being one of the finest Cathedrals in
Great Britain, but also one of the most complete in its gothic form. Nearly
all the secular buildings survive within the cathedral precinct, including
the fantastic moated Bishop's Place. Wells Cathedral also has an impressive
collection of original stained glass windows, numerous misericords, and one
of the few chained libraries left in England.

Lady Sarah and I briefly visited Wells Cathedral on our first England tour
in 2000. Sadly, it was a "You've got 15 minutes folks; get 'em while you
can" sort of stop, and we only had time to explore a few corridors and the
"Penniless Porch" (at least I think that was it, the precinct has several
surviving medieval gatehouses):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penniless_Porch,_Wells . Wells is on the top
of my list if we ever tour in England again, though Canterbury Cathedral
and Westminster Abbey will likely take precedence.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆