[MR] BBC: Islandic Food is NOT Viking

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 12:34:10 PDT 2019

Noble Friends,

Recently BBC offered this article on the traditional foods of Iceland:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180117-in-iceland-food-is-a-challenge-not-a-meal
. While the article is not really about history, there are some interesting
historical nuggets (and I don't mean chicken nuggets) here. The author
claims that medieval Icelanders weren't Vikings. Maybe so, but what about
all those sagas, Snorri, Eric the Red, and all that?

Either way, the traditional foods of Iceland relating to our period of
interest sound absolutely gross: rams' testicles, rotted shark meat, mutton
smoked with dung, and puffins. Disgusting, but then as a Scottish
descendant who am I to complain--our national dish is haggis, sheep stomach
filled with organ meat and oatmeal, which to me sounds just offal. [I will
duck for cover on that one!]

Enjoy the article and then thankfully send out for pizza or Chinese food.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆