[MR] Wikipedia: Churches Conservation Trust

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 04:14:39 PST 2018

Noble Friends,

And now for something different. Today Wikipedia's "From Today's Featured
List" has a roster of 62 now-redundant historic churches in southwest
England under the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. Most of these
churches date to the middle ages, and are now unused or rarely used because
the congregations have evaporated or moved to more modern buildings. All
the listed churches have links to brief Wikipedia articles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_churches_preserved_by_the_Churches_Conservation_Trust_in_Southwest_England

Lovers of medieval churches could have a great time exploring this list.
Here's an example, St. Edwold's in Stockwood:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Edwold%27s_Church,_Stockwood . I chose
this one simply because I had never heard of St. Edwold (who he was is
explained in the text, but you will have to go there to find out  🙄 ). I
was rewarded by knowledge of this new (to me) saint, and the description of
a unique and somewhat quirky church.

The Churches Conservation Trust cares for churches all across England.
There are links to four additional regional lists at the bottom of the
Wikipedia article cited above. Knowledge like this is really useful if you
are creating a backstory for your persona, and is often hard to come by.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆