[MR] BBC: Walking A 1,000 year-old Pilgrim Route

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 02:27:17 PST 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Pilgrims,

A topic that always gets me excited is medieval pilgrimage. Though physical
limitations make pilgrimage impossible (except a "cheater's pilgrimage" by
modern transport), I love books and accounts of pilgrims and their
journeys. Some of my most meaningful experiences were visiting pilgrimage
shrines in Wales, England and Scotland on our several trips abroad.

Today I greatly enjoyed joining author Breena Kerr on the Via Francigena
for BBC Travel:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20181203-a-1000-year-old-road-lost-to-time
. The route is that taken by the newly-consecrated Archbishop of Canterbury
Sigeric the Serious as he returned from Rome to his see in 990. The route
was well documented in his own account, and was used by many pilgrims that
followed his directions before it fell into disuse. Today most of the
original route can still be walked, some over surviving Roman roads, and is
becoming popular again.

For more about the Via Francigena, try
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Francigena . The route has its own web
page with lovely photos at https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/ .

And Archbishop Sigeric? His brief bio is found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigeric_the_Serious .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆