[MR] Wikipedia: Anne of Denmark, Queen Consort of Scotland

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:55:35 PST 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

On this date in 1574 was born Anne of Denmark, who was to become Queen
Consort of Scotland and husband of James VI (aka James I of England).

Anne is often seen as something of a footnote to history, but in reality
she was a woman of character, style, learning and considerable backbone.
Her marriage to James was successful, in that it produced three surviving
children, including Charles I. Although there was always affection between
Anne and James, their marriage was difficult. Despite his serious religious
interests, James is known to have had a number of male lovers, was
impossibly crude in public, drank heavily, and frequently humiliated Anne
in public. After James became King of England, the pair lived apart and
pursued their separate interests. Anne set up her own separate court, which
was known for its style and intellectual content until her health began to
fail around 1612. She died in 1619.

Here is more about Anne of Denmark:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Denmark .

For more about James I and VI, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_VI_and_I .

The Gowerie Conspiracy was a major bone of contention between James and
Anne. For more about this incident see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ruthven,_3rd_Earl_of_Gowrie#Gowrie_conspiracy
.

Yours Aye,