[MR] Opinions about a possible PREREG ONLY event

Signora Sveva Lucciola ladysveva at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 16:48:24 PDT 2004

Not only is this possible, I have seen it done, and done for quite a
large event. The 2 main points are:

1)Publicize loudly and frequently that it is a reservation only event
and that although you love them, day of event drop-ins aren't welcome.

2)Publicize loudly what your refund policy is. EVERY event SHOULD have
one! It may be a "let us know by 5 PM Friday of the event". It may be a
"requests must be received in writing no later than the following
Friday"...it could even be "no refunds after a certain date"...but
there should be a policy! It might even be outlined in your groups'
financial policy. Everyone has one of those, right?

As an "honorable" member of our organization, I would concentrate on
finding ways to follow the regulations of the site, rather than ways to
bend or squeak around them.

Frankly, maybe more groups ought to do this to encourage reservations.
It is often a large financial burden on the group to front the site
fee, the prizes and food, and then keep their fingers crossed that
people are really going to come. Some events have been canceled or
feasts reduced because there just weren't enough reservations in to
take that risk. If we are adult enough to pay our real life bills, then
hopefully we can figure out how to write a check or get someone to
write one for us, and stick it in an envelope. I know that some of us
have jobs that just aren't stable enough to let us know a week out
whether we will be able to attend or not. I used to be in that boat
myself. But, if I really wanted to attend, I went ahead and reserved.
If I couldn't go, and I was strapped, I would request a refund. It's
just like signing up for feast...you often have to do that in advance
if you want a spot.

(Getting down off my soapbox now)
Sveva

=====
"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy.
If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem.
But I arise in the morning torn between the desire to improve the world,
and a desire to enjoy the world.
This makes it hard to plan the day."
---e.b. white