[MR] Woman Attacked at Pennsic

Catalina dell' Acqua akgnome at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 15:34:06 PDT 2004

Remember though, that there are numerous groups at
Pennsic.  Some Pennsic attendees do not belong to any
group.  It is not required to be an SCAdian, Tuchux,
Norseman, Acre, Markland, etc to attend Pennsic.  I
used to work with one person who used to attend
Pennsic much like he now attends Burning Man.  And
there are stories of locals getting access to the site
through the numerous "back doors."  After all, we are
in the woods, more or less, and it is not easy to
patrol the whole area.  And how many people saw anyone
checking site tokens, other than by Troll and the
merchants area?
Sadly, as Pennsic has grown, it has developed all the
problems of a small town, for that is basically what
it is.  And while the general population is still
honorable, chivalrous and plays by the rules, as the
population gets larger, the number of questionable
people gets larger.  Still a minority, thankfully
enough, but larger nonetheless.  I have been to
Pennsic for 4 years in a row now, and every year I
have heard rumors of a woman being attacked at some
time during the week.  This just happens to be the
first time I have heard that rumor confirmed.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, and since I
was unable to earlier, this is the link to the message
board and thread where this was posted.
http://www.pennsic.net/cgi-bin/mb/mb.cgi?cmd=read&topic=politics&id=1093967504&offset=15

YIS
Catalina