[MR] Re: Atlantia Digest, Vol 23, Issue 25

Charlotte Wurtzel mathilde at mathildegirlgenius.com
Fri Dec 17 05:43:25 PST 2004

> I encourage people to raise this concern with the chronicler. Remember to
> *ask*
> *nicely*. Don't demand. This policy has been in place for quite a while now;
> don't blame the incumbent.

Nah, I've been a (baronial) chronicler. I know what it's like. It's the policy I
have an issue with, not the chronicler.

> It's kingdom policy, being  paragraph 6.9.1 in the Book of Policy
> <http://law.atlantia.sca.org/Policy.html#6>, and has been that way for some
> years
> now.

After reading the policy, this is what seems odd to me. The calendar is
considered part of the Acorn, not as an entity unto itself. If the Kingdom
Calendar is it's own entity, then it is, as a department, responsible for it's
own updates. Question: When a group wants to get onto the Kingdom Calendar,
whom do they contact? The Acorn? Or a "central calendar"?

> If you want to see an example of extreme utility, I recommend the East
> Kingdom's
> event calendar...

Yep, lived there. And the Midrealm and Northshield. :-)

> I'd like to remind everyone that the Kingdom web site is maintained by
> basically one person. This is a huge job - many people do not realize just
> how big a job it is. That person has a life just like the rest of us, has a
> full time job like most of us, so please cut him some slack on this,
> especially at this time of year when we are all so amazingly busy. He is,
> too - and he's an unpaid volunteer for this job.

Like I said, if it's just a "busy person", no biggie. There seems to be an
underlying policy as well.

Not to repeat the mantra, but in other kingdoms I've lived in, there's been a
calendar person designated, who can update the calendar database themselves and
thereby, update the website. I hate to see jobs that are too big for one person,
because, as we all know, this IS a hobby.

Cheers,
Mathilde
(who is probably ticking off people she hasn't even met yet...) ;-)