RSS (was Re: [MR] Regarding the Acorn Website)

Denise Nelson denisen at ftml.net
Fri Dec 17 16:19:17 PST 2004

Since I've gotten this question a few times, I'll answer it here.

The simple explaination is "like email for webpages."   For the more
involved explaination, check out an online tutorial like

http://www.download.com/How-to-read-RSS-feeds/1200-2001-5123544.html

This explaination uses a new program you have to download to be able to
read RSS feeds.  Another option is livejournal.com (a popular blogging
site).  To add a RSS feed from there (since I know lots of Atlantians
have livejournals), go to this website:

http://www.livejournal.com/syn/

An example of how this works is SCAToday.net.  You can check the webpage
every few days, or get the headlines delivered to your feed reader or
livejournal friends page.

It all turns a "pull" technology (user requests each time) into a "push"
(automatically informs user of change).

Pretty neat, huh?

Helewyse