[MR] Acorn & Internet

Michael Houghton herveus at radix.net
Fri Dec 17 05:21:08 PST 2004

Howdy!

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:11:21PM -0500, E L Wimett wrote:
> There are a couple of issues.

[snip]

> Secondly, at one point there were limitations placed on when information to
> be included for events could be posted by the Chronicler on a kingdom web
> page.  (That is one reason why local groups were encouraged to put flyers on
> their sites.)  This was an attempt to force people to get memberships to get
> information and keep sustaining membership up.  (The phrase I have seen is
> to "add to the perceived value of membership", but that is what it boils
> down to.)

Book of Policy, 6.9 The Acorn Homepage, says:

6.9.1   The online version of The Acorn (http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org)
is not intended to replace the hard copy version and is provided for
the sake of convenience only. The online version will not be updated
until after the hard copy version has had time to be received by the
subscribers so as to not undermine this valuable benefit of
membership.

Strict application of this rule to events whose flyers first appear in the
month the event occurs means that those flyers will be inaccessable vie the
web page in time to be of any value, for most such events. Given that third
class mail seems to be taking so long to get to subscribers, it is pretty
much essential that flyers get published in the prior month's Acorn if they
are to be of any value.

I had a brief email conversation with the chronicler (I don't recall if it
was the current or previous; it's not terribly relevant) in which I asked
that this policy be reconsidered. The reply showed a concern with membership
numbers, and offered hope that, with an increase in same, it might be
reconsidered.

I encourage people to raise this concern with the chronicler. Remember to *ask*
*nicely*. Don't demand. This policy has been in place for quite a while now;
don't blame the incumbent.

yours,
Herveus
--
Michael and MJ Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde and Megan O'Donnelly
herveus at radix.net         | White Wolf and the Phoenix