[MR] Acorn & Internet

E L Wimett silverdragon at charleston.net
Thu Dec 16 19:11:21 PST 2004

There are a couple of issues.

One is that pushing up the deadlines really does not achieve much except
making the printed information more outdated since the label info is are
provided by the Society Registry on a fixed schedule after update.  Also,
since we are hearing there are problems with some of the first class
mailings (I'm in South Carolina and have not had problems), it is almost
certainly something going on with the Post Awful in some regions.  (If the
problems are mostly in Northern Virginia and the Greater Storviki
Co-Prosperity sphere, it may be related to security.  My museum and military
contacts at work have requested that we NOT send anything by Post Office but
to use FedEx or UPS instead because of the fun with irradiation and other
measures going on up there.)

Secondly, at one point there were limitations placed on when information to
be included for events could be posted by the Chronicler on a kingdom web
page.  (That is one reason why local groups were encouraged to put flyers on
their sites.)  This was an attempt to force people to get memberships to get
information and keep sustaining membership up.  (The phrase I have seen is
to "add to the perceived value of membership", but that is what it boils
down to.)

Alisoun
Quondam Chronicle of the East