[MR] Wine making question

Randy Goldberg MD goldbergr1 at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 09:00:10 PDT 2003

> I have been told that using Camden Tablets in winemaking creates Sulfur
> Dioxide which acts
> as a sterilizing agent.  My question is... how much of this remains in
> the
> must as Sulfites.  The instructions I have read indicate to use one
> tablet
> per gallons to prevent wild yeast and bacteria.
>
> I ask this since I do not want to serve a wine like this to a person who
> is sensitive to Sulfites.

Camden tablets are the source of sulfites in wine/mead. You can use far less
than the typical commercial winery, but I would nevertheless not give a
sulfited wine/mead to someone allergic to sulfites. I personally don't use
Camden tablets at all, and stick to very good sterile technique.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has
a rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand
up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a
religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable
pleasure from fiddling with it. - [Lazarus Long]