[MR] Long term Pennsic Merchant thrown out without warning

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun Aug 10 21:19:29 PDT 2003

Denise Nelson wrote:

> Greetings to the list!
>
> While I am sorry that this had to happen, ignorance is not a good
> defense.  The rules specifically state:

The rules also state:

"Anyone who chooses to ignore these regulations may be subject to
appropriate sanctions."

 From the story, it appears that Iolo offered to stop the practice.
That should have been an "appropriate saction."

>  Getting thrown off site for disobeying the rules is
> not unheard of, and is entirely acceptable.

But, surely you must look at this in proportion.  Who was being
hurt by this?  Since it was in his tent (or right next to it), I must
assume no one.  The punishment here does *not* fit the "crime".

> I encourage everyone to read event booklets and flyers fully to make
> sure that their activities are permissible.  You are responsible for
> this, and the event staff does not *have* to give you any sort of warning.

No, but we as a society pride ourselves on our chivalry.  Episodes
like this do not engender good will towards those involved.  If Iolo
volunteered to stop (and I cannot imagine he wouldn't so volunteer)
then that should have been it.  Throwing him out of Pennsic is
so completely out of proportion that it begs the question as to
whether there were other things involved.

Lord Kendrick Wayfarer
Listkeeper, Merry Rose
(Proud owner of 2 Iolo crossbows)
--