[MR] Re: Newbie

Claybaby2 at aol.com Claybaby2 at aol.com
Tue Sep 3 13:08:54 PDT 2002

I understand your concern.  When I first joined our local group three years
ago for fencing practice, I certainly felt like the odd woman out.  Many of
the people I now consider good friends seemed to be to wrapped up in their
activities and a little put out that our group of four newcomers wouldn't go
away. That goes to show how perceptions can be deceiving.  I now honestly
believe that the SCA is probably one of the largest groups of shy people in
existence.  Oh, they seem very outspoken with one another, but that has come
from the hard work of overcoming their initial reactions to withdraw from
strangers.  Don't we spend a lot of time teaching our kids to avoid strangers?
I have always been a very shy person, but forcing myself to keep trying has
led me to many wonderful experiences, both in the SCA and in my workplace.  I
always worry that someone will be judgmental, and I will retreat to the "safe
place" as a wallflower.  It doesn't sound like you have this same problem,
but consider that many others do.  Be persistent, and don't come to
conclusions from one experience.  Please do let people know that you are new,
and what sort of interests you have in our historical time period.  If your
garb was as you described, it would be hard to determine that you were a
newbie by looking.
I just want to encourage you to try again.  Obviously from the many posts in
reply to your message, there are people in the society that would like to
make you feel welcome.  I count myself as one of them.
Yours in Service,
Etain of Sutherland