[MR] Newcomer solutions

David W. James vnend at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 5 14:38:16 PDT 2002

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 10:22 AM, Kaylee wrote:
> Of all the suggestions, I like the idea of having a prominent SIGN at
> Troll welcoming newcomers, and asking them to identify themselves.  At
> that point, the newcomers themselves can decide if they want to wear some
> sort of favor (if provided) to identify themselves, so participation would
> not be mandatory.

	I especially liked the idea of the 'scavenger hunt' as a way of meeting
people and education.  I think that sounds like a great children's activity
too, as long as it is a big enough event.  I think it would make a great
activity for the major wars.  The closest period anticedent that I know of
would be a quest; in the case of looking up particular people (or small
classes of people) that is actually pretty close to the period concept as
I know it.  Potentially fun and educational, and not something I've seen
done before.

> I have also admired the practice of welcoming newcomers into court.
> Again, participation is not mandatory, but the opportunity to be
> identified as a newcomer is there.

	I'm a little less enthusiastic about this option.  I know I probably
wouldn't stand up/come forward.  But I guess it would work for some folks.

David/Kwellend-Njal