[MR] Newcomer solutions

Mindi Bishop marryyn at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 6 06:54:39 PDT 2002

>>At that point, the newcomers themselves can decide if they want to wear
>>some sort of favor (if provided) to identify themselves, so participation
>>would not be mandatory.
(snip)
>>I have also admired the practice of welcoming newcomers into court.
>>Again, participation is not mandatory, but the opportunity to be
>>identified as a newcomer is there.

We do both of these here in Sacred Stone.  At most Hawkwood events you will
find newcomers wearing a blue & yellow finger braid ribbon. Green and white
ribbons are used for baronial events.  At court Baroness Kisaiya is
continuing the tradition of, as a group,  inviting "all for those whom this
is their first event" up, and then greeting them all.  Yes this does take a
few minutes sometimes, but it's nice to see (and sometimes amazing) to see
how many newcomers there are!  And they inturn get something special.
Both seem to work for us here.

Marryyn
(who needs to go to the store and get more ribbon to make for the newcomers
for Golden Moon)  :)