[MR] Attn: Old Timers (was: Newbie)

E. Georges e.georges at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 4 05:41:23 PDT 2002

Two things: (short, i promise!)

1) EVENTBLUES -- I join the chorus of apolgies.  I understand how hard it
can be to be new.  I am pretty outgoing, and still found it hard to talk to
folks at my first event, though there were some wonderful gentles who took
me under their wing.  Also, it did not hurt that I volunteered to work
troll.  Please come back to an event, and if you live in Ponte Alto (Fairfax
or Arlington Counties in VA) contact me IMMEDIATELY.  As Deputy Chatelaine
of Ponte Alto, I believe I can be of assistance.

2)  OLDTIMERS -- just an idea:  Many of us are busy at events and want to
spend time with our friends.  But no matter how busy you are, there is one
thing you can do to make newcomers and visitors feel welcome -- if you see
someone you don't know, SMILE and say "Good day, Milord/Milady!"  It takes
but a second of your time.  And smiling has been proven to make you feel
good.  It also gives a shy newcomer just the opening they need to make
themselves known so that they can be assisted.  Just doing this one little
thing can make SCA events a more courteous, hospitible place than they
already are.  Just try it, once.  See what happens.

In Service to Atlantia,
Lady Luce Antony Venus
Deputy Chatelaine of Ponte Alto
(Per pale gules and azure, a pegasus couchant and on a chief argent three
delfs azure)
(mka Liz Georges)