[MR] newbie

Susan Arthur susanart at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 3 15:25:34 PDT 2002

Milady,

May I say that I shared some of the same experience you did? My first-ever
event was Pennsic, where we camped with old friends from out of Kingdom. I
believe that if I had not had the opportunity to see all the activities
that are available, with the enthusiastic support of those I had known and
trusted for years, I might not have kept coming back, either. My first
local event was a very small one, and I knew exactly one person that I felt
comfortable enough to talk to. As it happened, she had responsibilities
that day and could not spend the entire day at my side. People who know me
do not believe that I am shy, but it is true-- I have NO idea what to say
to someone I don't know. If I can find out that we have interests in
common, I'm launched into conversation. Otherwise, I sort of stand and
twist my hands. I spent a lot of time sitting alone in out-of-the-way
places that day.

The thing that kept me coming back was that we went to local meetings and
met people who had enough similar interests to keep us going throughout the
year. (I was so hooked on Pennsic that I think I would have gone every year
even if we didn't play any other time.)

If you are not close to any shire or canton meetings during the week, I
would suggest that you think about activities you might be interested in
pursuing. Do you have an interest in art? If so, maybe you'd be interested
in calligraphy and illumination-- if you are, *I* am someone who'd love to
talk to you! ;> Do you enjoy sewing? If you are interested at all in
cooking, I know that many people spend the entire day of their first event
in the kitchen, helping chop vegtables or doing whatever else the chef
needs done. In fact, I know people who work in the kitchen just because
it's a good social place to be, even if they aren't interested in pursuing
cooking. That is a sure-fire way to get to know a few people, who can then
introduce you to a few more people, and so on.

I would pretty much bet that if you write back to this list and say "I am
interested in research/heraldry/sewing/lacemaking/
calligraphy..." or fighting or whatever, some one will come forth who
shares your interests. You might also check on the Atlantian home page for
activities in your part of the kingdom-- guilds, etc-- to help you get to
know people.'

Do please give us another chance.
Lucia

Maestra Lucia Bellini
Baroness, Windmasters' Hill
CP, OL
Guildmistress, Windmasters' Hill Scriptorium
http://scribe.atlantia.sca.org/gallery/Lucia/index.html