[Archers] Atl-atl discussion and rules

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Tue Aug 6 14:58:46 PDT 2013

Reyne, let me give a couple counter-thoughts (as an atlatl-thrower, but
not 'seasoned')

>    An 80cm target face (thanks,
> Siegfried) should be fine.

The bigger problem I see with this (though otherwise fine idea).  Is
that it's going to be a bit harder to handle an 80cm.  80cm on the
ground, looks small, and hurts people's backs ;)  You'd ideally want an
80cm to be elevated.  But our 'usual' stands and butts won't hold a
target the size of an 80cm.

>  Having shot at a 120cm target, I can tell
> you, it's huge, and people might have trouble accommodating it.

Other than transportation (truck needed for back), it's actually easier,
IMO, to create a quick butt for a 122cm, and plop it on the ground.  And
the size of it is designed to really 'sit on the ground' anyway.

So, my counter-thought is:  Given the two options, the 80cm will take
some effort in creating custom holders/stands/butts to accomodate.  But
the 122cm is easy to throw foam behind and stick on the ground.  So
actually, the 122 is 'easier'  (In a weird way, I grant you)

>  It'd be
> a whole lot easier to hit, certainly, but is that really the purpose of
> a RR?

Yes.  In a way.  The purpose of a RR, is to be able to gauge your skill,
and gauge your continual improvement of the skill.

To that end, it doesn't behoove us to have a set of rules/equipment,
that encourage, for example, scores of '0'.  With a bow, at 20yards, and
a days worth of training ... an archer can score a non-zero RR.  They
now have a baseline to watch their growth.

a 122cm target for atl-atl, should provide the same, that a 'days
training' person can score, a non-0 round.  And then watch their score
grow as their skill does.

Yet, hopefully never quite reach that pinnicle of the 'perfect score'.

80cm increases the chance of someone being 'stuck' at 0 for a while, and
potentially losing hope / frustration rising that they can't 'ever get
better'.

Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia