[Archers] PVC Pipe Bows

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 16 11:43:12 PDT 2012

I would add to the question of allowing PVC bows on the range that as
these are "experimental" bows they would fall into the same category as
atlatl.  If the marshal in charge of the range is not comfortable having
atlatl on their range, there is no atlatl.  Same should apply with these
bows.

In my first job out of college I lived with PVC.  I ran a marine aqua
culture lab for San Diego State University and 80% of my day was
plumbing PVC piping.  That said, I feel fairly conversant on the
properties, pro and con, of PVC.  New, it is pretty strong.  However
after exposure to sunlight or too much heat it becomes very brittle and
will break if a person simply steps on it.  As these bows are made by
heating the pipe to form the bow I would be very concerned about how hot
the PVC got in the bow's making.  As was mentioned in this discussion,
if we also allow the bow limbs to be covered to present a more period
look to the bows, how would we know if the PVC had been over heated in
the making process?  (When over heated PVC turns various shades of
brown.)

At this point, I'm leaning in the direction of not allowing them.  When
we consider that a very usable, all wood, highly period looking bow can
be had on-line for about $40 up, it seems they are a better alternative
to an inexpensive starter bow over the PVC models.

My two fletchings worth,
cog