[Archers] More on PVC Bows

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Tue Oct 9 11:13:10 PDT 2012

As usual, Siegfried has an excellent point here.  My only concern about
the PVC bows is the effect sunlight has on PVC.  PVC pipes left in the
sun for a year or more become quite brittle.  When used to transport
water even under the pressure for which the pipe is rated, it has no
problems.  But step on it and it will shatter.  Thus a bow, which gets
flexed in a manner never intended for the product may fail in similar
manner.  There really is no way to check PVC for sunlight exposure.  It
doesn't get darker or leave any tell tail indicators.  If PVC bows had
limb coverings much like "horse bows" that would control the "flying
pieces" during/if failure.  It would also prevent the sun damage to the
material.

5 years running the Marine Aquaculture laboratory for San Deigo State
University made me VERY familiar with PVC piping.

cog