[Archers] More on PVC Bows

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Oct 9 11:11:30 PDT 2012

M'Lord Siegfried and Friends,

What you say is true. I don't advocate giving any inspection less time
and effort than it should have, but we can't ever catch every flaw. We
are limited to what is obvious, or what is not so obvious but we notice
it because of special training or personal experience. That's all that
can be expected of us. For quantifying, let's give this inspection a
value of "x". In the case of a weapon of unfamiliar materials or design,
we are expected (and usually do) spend more time and effort on the
inspection. For someone who presents a new hand-made bow of PVC or even
wood, maybe we want to spent "x+1" or "x+2" to be satisfied the weapon
is safe to shoot, or as at least as safe as we can determine. One way is
to ask bowyer/archer the sort of questions I suggested. If he/she says,
"Well, I made five before this one, and they all broke the first day,"
we can conclude that this person is probably a poor bowyer, and also a
chump (though an honest one). Any marshal should also see a red flag in
a situation like this. With an archer like that, I would probably offer
them up something from my loaner kit. ;-)

Yours Aye,

Mungo