[Archers] More on PVC Bows

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Oct 9 07:28:46 PDT 2012

M'Lord William and Friends of the Bow,

Thanks much for your response.

I am familiar with Mr. Tomihama and his many You Tube postings. Indeed,
I have watched the film where he destroys one of his bows by weakening
it with a torch. What bothered me about this was not so much what
happened to the bow, but rather when he drew the bow before heating, it
appeared to have different bends in the two limbs (or this could be the
bow's angle to the camera):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7FJFLWct4&feature=plcp .

Mr. Tomihama or Mr. Dunham seem to know what they are doing. Were either
to bring any of their bows to a range I was running, I would respect
their experience and give a certain amount of guarded trust to their
bows. I still would want to know how many arrows had been shot from any
bow they presented for inspection. In other words, has that particular
bow so far been proven safe?

However, a new bowyer is another matter. How do we judge his or her
experience? How many bows have they built? How long have their bows been
in use? Have any failed? Is this a new bow, or one that has had say 100
shots from it (that's roughly four royal rounds, barely broken in)?

We need to move cautiously with these bows, and judge each new situation
on the side of safety. OTOH, it would be a shame to simply turn someone
away who presents such a bow for inspection. Every situation is going to
be different, and any experiences should be shared here among our
archery community.

Yours Aye,

Mungo