[Archers] Shafting for "Mary Rose" Arrows

Garth Groff ggg9y at virginia.edu
Tue Nov 13 04:21:38 PST 2012

Noble Friends of the Bow,

Yesterday I stumbled across some shafting for Mary Rose/A&S/EWBS arrows
in Lowes, of all places. The shafting was sold in both oak and poplar,
both woods identified by Roger Ascham. Doweling came in various sizes
including 1/2", but they also had 3/8" which is suitable for the English
War Bow Society's "Welsh Class Arrow". I went through both boxes and
pulled out the straightest, purchasing one of each wood (this is for
A&S, not to fill my quiver, so I only bought two). Total price for two
was less than $4. If you want to try large arrows for A&S projects, this
is a readily available and economical source for the proper woods.

Yours Aye,

Mungo