[Archers] source for dowel shafting

Michael michaelstuart at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 19:05:59 PST 2012

For those wishing larger quantities than can be found in the store, a
couple years ago I ordered 100 each of ramin, maple, and hickory in 3/8 x
36" size from Excel Dowel at
http://exceldowel.thomasnet.com/item/dowel-rods-dowel-caps-finials/dowel-rods-2/item-1692
?
The link shows oak and they also carry poplar, though I haven't tried these
yet.

I am still working my way through my initial order, and have so far gotten
around 50 good shafts out of each 100 ordered (many of those not acceptable
for arrows can probably serve as crossbow bolts; often the grain is fine on
one end, but has a defect on the other), which works out to around $1 per
shaft. Also nice for those needing more than a 32" draw length, as some
(maybe a dozen per hundred) are of arrow quality for the entire 36".

As I demonstrated in my "making arrows for cheap" class at War of the
Wings, it is time consuming but not difficult to barrel taper these with an
electric drill and some sandpaper (wear gloves!). Several people at the
class had asked for the source, so Ld. Mungo's post reminded me to look it
up and share.

in service,

Ld. Eirik Gralokkr