[Archers] Lochmere Arrow � Rules Draft

deallac at juno.com deallac at juno.com
Tue May 15 19:03:30 PDT 2012

Seamus, A few comments below Dealla

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jamie Frailey <jamie at designbyfive.com>
To: archers at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Subject: [Archers] Lochmere Arrow � Rules Draft
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:49:04 -0400

So it has come to my attention that there are some concerns over the way the Lochmere Arrow has been run recently. I have done some research and I can not find any documentation on rules for this competition. I did find a post from Siegfried from in 2006. I have shot in this competition for many years and never heard any complaints other than wow that was hard. So, I am floating out a starting point for such rules for this Competition. Please feel free to add or eliminate. I would highly recommend to reach out to the original winners and get their opinion on this document.

Thank you.

In service,

Lord Seamus McRay

A quick reminder on the basic rules of the Lochmere Arrow for those that
don't know:

The Lochmere Arrow is a competition between the Baronies/Shires/ Cantons of Atlantia.

Teams of 2 members compete together (and all the stations are designed
around a concept of a team shooting together). (ARE there any limitations on target designs?)
**** This has not been obvious (the concept of shooting together) in many of the years.
**** The only limits I have seen have been up to the imagination of the designer (see below
**** regarding possible advantages granted by this, though)

To actually WIN the coveted Arrow for your Group, both members of the
team must be from the same local group, and only Atlantian groups may win.
****  members can be (have been) physically from different groups, as long as they
****  claim to 'play' for a given group.  Whoever they choose to shoot for, would be the
**** winning group

CAN: Winners can or cannot shoot this competition in consecutive years? Or the Designers of the competition cannot compete for the Lochmere arrow.
**** This has changed over the years.  When the competition was simply Royal Rounds, there
**** no problem with a winning team competing in consecutive years, since everyone was on
**** the same starting place.  As the tournament style evolved, sometimes winners competed,
**** and this upset a few people because it gave the hosting group an advantage regarding the
**** distances, scoring, and designs of the targets

Each group MAY provide more than one team if they wish, as many as you wish.
**** this has evolved over the years.  It was originally ONE team per group.  This
**** kept the numbers down, but the tourney moved faster.  This then moved to
**** allowing more teams to shoot, but only one was OFFICIAL.  More open, but
**** still a bit restrictive.  Lately, yes, it has moved to as many teams as a group
**** can/want to field

Mixed teams, and teams from outside of Atlantia are allowed to compete,
have fun, and a prize will be provided for the best non-able-to-win team score.
**** see above regarding who a team 'claims' to shoot for

Should it be a (1) Bow competition?**** I believe this is best, but others mileage may vary :)
 In service, THL Seamus McRay
Regards, Jamie Fraileyjamie at designbyfive.com c. 443.834.8141p. 443.615.7264 225 East Redwood Street, 3rd FloorBaltimore, MD 21202