[Archers] An interesting observation

Janyn Fletcher janynfletcher at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 14:48:40 PDT 2012

COG, having just made this transition I can honestly say, "it depends.." I
grew up being a competitive rifle and handgun shooter. Was a sniper in the
Govt for some time and competed in 1000 yard high power rifle competitions
for years where 2 thousandths of bullet run-out would mean you miss the
target by 12 feet at 1000 yards. So coming from the long bow world this was
a very natural transition for me. I understand breathing, solid hold and
smooth release with the cross bow. There is also the technology of the cross
bow that aids in accuracy as well, but: it still comes down to the archer
behind that bow and understanding the equipment. I do find overall the cross
bow is a bit easier to master than the longbow but that is not a given and
should not be tossed around as jealousy by any of us. I was guilty of that
years ago when I thought they were simply point and shoot, I can attest they
are not for the most part. All of the dynamics that we deal with in the hand
bow world apply here as well. Now add in the setup of the prod, tightness of
the prod to the bow, the bolts, etc and it is just as complicated as the
bow.

Something as simple as being right handed and my right arm being stronger
than my left was driving me crazy because all of my groups were to the
right, Lord Carl watched me one day and saw that I was pulling the string
off center causing my issue. Here I was blaming the equipment, my bolts, me
being "cock-eyed", etc and it turned out to be something that simple. Having
walked in these shoes now, I have a real respect for the cross bow and have
been really enjoying the learning to shoot it properly along the way!