[Archers] Archery bottlenecks

John Atkins cogworks at triad.rr.com
Mon Mar 26 08:05:59 PDT 2012

Holly/Nuala,

Excellent points.  I think #12 below covers it but let me expand in case it
didn't.  Difficult or complicated scoring.  The scoring marshal should be
able to score most shafts from 10 feet away.  I know that is not always
possible nor the most accurate but my point is there should NOT be a 10
minute discussion about whether or not the shaft is worth 3 points or 4
points!

And not to be harsh on my crossbow buddies, but they do tend to take
considerably longer to shoot than the handbow folks.  At Pennsic it is quite
typical for a corssbowman to shoot, then take a minute or three to decide
was it in or not?  Should I change my aiming point?  We have all seen these
crossbowmen take a very long time to get off 6 bolts.  Consider that in your
target/shooting station design. Or maybe the Atlantian crossbowmen could
"teach" the other kingdom crossbowmen how to shoot faster!  J  Typically
very small targets at distance are the cause of this bottleneck.

And as long as we are still in the planning stages of this shoot, how about
an "award" for the worst score of an archer with an RR average of 60 or
higher?  They would have to eat a bowl of that "pink stuff" Colum seems to
favor from the ice cream vendors.  Hahahahaha  Sometimes I just crack myself
up......

Cog....now running from Colum...how far can he shoot?