[Archers] archery peerage

Fen & Michelle mobishob at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 00:27:19 PST 2012

I hear you Christophe.

I should probably qualify my comments as being based on a romantic idealization of the Chivalry from my SCA memories of the 1980s. Also, its not something I aspire to now... my SCA time revolves around the joy of shooting, a recent dive into rapier (much fun, highly recommend), and re-invigorating my Shire. I do not have the time or energy to embark on the path towards a peerage - so any ideas I may have on an archery peerage should be taken with a grain of salt, as I do not intend to attempt that journey myself.

I do understand your questioning the need to be versed in chess and dance. I just think that if we are going for a Martial peerage instead of Laurel or Pelican, we should pattern it after the Chivalry. I hope we would at least maintain a teaching of the Seven Virtues. I know that several of us have expressed disappointment in our Chivalry (and some rcvd pushback when they mentioned dishonorable instances on public lists, which is even more discouraging). When I started playing again in SCA (2007) it saddened me to hear that Atlantian Knights had a rep from other kingdoms as "thugs".  I can't help but notice there is some truth behind that slander. I do find myself sorting out the false knights from the true ones and staying clear of the former. But one thing our True Knights seem to have in common is a devotion to the Seven Virtues. Because of their example, I've tried to adopt those virtues for personal growth (and Marine Corps
 deprogramming!) with good results. For instance, I recently had an unfortunate encounter with a False Knight. I handled it better than most who know me would have expected, especially considering that a year ago he would have been picking his teeth off the pavement. That's Fen learning Temperance. Yes, baby steps, ha.

But overall, I think that *if* the Chivalry has lost its way, its because some were never taught to use those Virtues as a pole star to keep them on the path. And I'm afraid if we don't have something like that as a foundation for our first generation of peers, the following generations will become diluted rather quickly. BTW,  I don't mean to paint the Chivalry in such broad strokes. For every false Knight there are ten true ones that humbly go about exemplifying the epitome of Knighthood every day. Its been said in remorse that "you can be the Champion of 20 tournaments of Courtesy and Chivalry and the only thing people will remember is the 1 time you kicked your helm across the list field."

All that aside, I don't see the BOD approving an Archey Peerage in the near future. It might be wiser to create a higher tier from within the Yew Bow. Some are already there, and some may need more guidance and work. You could create a martial order that focuses not only on raw skill, but also being a Patriarch/Matriarch of the archery community.  I think Jonathas already named good examples of archers we would model such an Order after.  It won't be official, but we will all know what it really means. More importantly, they will be in place to hit the ground running if/when an Archery peerage is approved - a bit of the "behave like a peer to become a peer" philosophy.  Maybe assign them an archery related baldric to associate them with this new Order. Although my sniper-self is partial to the White Feather (Hathcock) as a mark of ranged prowess.

Whatever direction we take for a peerage, I would caution on how we sit in judgement of each candidate's character. This is a thorny issue the Chivalry has had trouble with too - rumour and gossip are oftened entered into the record without any recourse. And despite whatever confidentiality you think you have in place, such false witness will find its way back to the candidate and likely create contempt for the entire Order. So we should be very careful when judging character, and there should be some mechanism in place for the candidate to correct misinformation or misunderstandings. There should also be a way to remove a peerage from those that would abuse it (assuming that doesn't conflict with SCA law).

Regardless, it is simply not right that our most virtuous and skilled are not honored by a martial peerage.  I know I initially claimed I was agnostic on the issue, but after writing this, I do see the need for one. So thanks for putting up with my blather. You've moved me from "undecided" to "yes".  I'll be sending in a less dramatic :)  email soon.

Cheers
Fen

@ Colum: "I sent in my email.  It is rather lengthy and I tried to stick with facts.  If anyone is interested I could post it here."

I would be interested in seeing your arguments before I draft mine. If you could please email it to me, would be much appreciated.

Atlantian Archery. Nothing exists within 100 yards without our permission.