[Archers] Nature of peerage ... was: Re: Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 25

Siegfried siegfried at crossbows.biz
Thu Feb 16 07:51:38 PST 2012

Martelle, think you for posting this, it was well written and with some
great information.

However, I do believe that there is one aspect that was missed in your
missive, between this, and current/ancient/ongoing efforts for Peerage
level recognition for archery/rapier/etc.

I'll attempt to briefly (I hope, yeah right) discuss:

> Why are there no archers in the Pelicans?
> Why are there no archers in the Laurels?

Well, to that, it's incorrect.  There are archers in the Pelicans, some
who were given their Pelican specifically for service to archery (Earl
Mika comes immediately to mind).   There are archers in the Laurels
(maybe not in this Kingdom off hand), but in many others for their
historical crafts.  Master Iolo for his crossbows, Master Jean-Paul for
his research into siege engines, Master James for his bow/crossbow work,
etc.

But here is were things fall apart, a bit, and you directly address this:

> For the Order of the Laurel. A person has to practice thier HISTORICAL
> art for some time. They have to display a lot. They have to teach a lot.
> They have to make a lot of things well in thier chosen interest and show
> them off.

This is quite correct, and the same can be said for Pelicans to a
certain art.  Follow the 'path to Pelican', but focusing your service
towards archery, or rapier, etc.  And you will be noticed, and recognized.

Where the one disconnect comes, is in the art/skill/science of the
activity itself.   IE, in the 'martial art' of "Skill at archery", or
"Skill at rapier".

Currently the Laurel is quite willing, as you said, to recognize those
who have done great historical research into an art form, made physical
items in that interest, displayed them, taught how they were made, etc.
 Which works great for 'physical crafted items'.  Be that research
papers, scrolls, woodwork, knitting, etc.

For example, Dante was just raised to the ranks of Laurel for his
historical research & teachings of specific weapon/fighting forms.

However, the 'gap' that is often trying to be addressed here.  Is
specifically the skill at the 'Martial Art' itself.  Being Amazing, at
the skill of fighting with a sword, or Amazing at the medieval art of
shooting a truly medieval crossbow or bow.

Right now, it's that 'skill at martial art', that isn't being
recognized.  The Pelicans do not recognize it, because it's an 'art',
not a service.   The Laurel do not recognize it (though a decade ago
now, Society stated that they should), simply, and not their fault,
because it doesn't fit into the 'typical' mindset of the rest of the
Laurel arts, which revolve about research & creating physical items.

Not going out and shooting 12 arrows into a 1" circle and turning around
with a huge smile on your face :)

However, this specific 'skill at a martial art' form, is recognized
specifically & solely for Armored Rattan Combat.   While yes, you need
(or should) have all the other characteristics of a Peer, comporting
oneself, teaching one's art, learning historical forms of one's art.

Someone can be made a Peer, in this case a Knight, for the 'primary
reason' of their skill at medieval bladed combat, as represented by
rattan swords.

However, if their chosen weapon that they want to perfect their skill
with, and their focus is that skill alone, is a Rapier.  Or is a
bow/crossbow.  Then they currently cannot be recognized the same way.

So I agree, completely with your statement, that we should be writing in
tons of reward recommendations for archers making bows/quivers/arrows &
doing the historical research on them.   And the same goes for people
creating rapier jacks, making rapiers, doing historical research into
various systems/forms ...

That doesn't change the fact, that the current systems do not allow us
to reward someone for specifically 'skill with martial weapon other than
rattan'.

And that, is what is currently being attempted to be 'fixed'.  In some way.

In Service & Friendship,