[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 25

Leif Johnston leif at resourcecompany.com
Thu Feb 16 07:42:34 PST 2012

An interesting example of this point and being out of the tradtional context
happened at 2011 KASF. King Bryan at the time, knowing what William Shop Rat
had done on his own equipment asked him to display it. The level of detail,
beauty and deep research into his craft was then recognized by the Pearls.

He worked hard to do his best in his area, which had A&S components but had
not been presented to the A&S community before. Work was noticed and the
result was in my opinion the right one to follow.

It took recognition by someone, encouragement of that person to move out of
what they had done, work by that person to reflect what they had done
differently - the way that the A&S folks where used to hearing things and
poof, he was recognized for his A&S contributions.

A secondary one is the recent elevation to Laurel of Dante di Pietro.
Perhaps a closer model since there is no rapier path to Chivalry either. But
Dante have worked for years to research, report, document, teach and cajole
others into a historically accurate perspective on rapier work, with in the
safety contexts that we have. As people spoke on his behalf, they talked
about the years of work, research, teaching, etc etc.

It can happen, but we all need to understand how others think and how to
help them see the good work YOU are doing and how it matches their award
processes.

A good example of that was Lady Esperanza's recognition at KASF for her work
on arrow decoration!

My two cents are worth 2 cents...

Wiglaf

Wiglaf Sigeberhting