[Archers] Archers Digest, Vol 101, Issue 25

Martha Fletcher mistress.martelvonc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:17:04 PST 2012

While Colum makes some valid points I would like to address the most
serious of his complaints...(personal pronouns are not directed at Colum)

Why are there no archers in the Pelicans?
Why are there no archers in the Laurels?

I'll tell you why -  Lack of Letters of recomendation. Then lack of updated
letters of recomendation. Lack of record of work done.

You think Lady Pricillia Yew Goddess has the makings of a Peer for her work
in the archery community? Then by golly speak up for her. DO NOT assume
someone else has done it.

When was the last time you wrote a letter to either Order either directly
or through the online recomendation system? Have you recommended Lord So&So
for service awards. NOT just archery awards but Serivce and Art awards?
Opals, Coral Branches, Golden Dolphins, Pearls?

Letters for the peerage must be more than "Hey! Make this person a Pelican!
I think they're great!". Your letters must be specific and show a long time
level of service to not only your local group but to the Kingdom. Then talk
to people who you know are Pelicans or Laurels and point a person you feel
is worthy out to them. We in the Atlantian Archery community know people
are hard workers because we are around them all the time. But maybe not
everyone knows what we know. YOU have to go back and update the order you
think that person is perfect for.

For the Order of the Laurel. A person has to practice thier HISTORICAL art
for some time. They have to display a lot. They have to teach a lot. They
have to make a lot of things well in thier chosen interest and show them
off. We archers make a lot of targets but who specializes in historical
archery targets?  Who specializes in making historical bows. Some of us
make period arrows, but how often do you display them with documentation?
What about historical research into archery equipment?  As an artisan you
have to SHOW what you know. Making period arrows as prizes is wonderful and
generous but they have a limited audience. You give the arrow and then it
goes to someone's home never to be seen again. Laurels want to see your
projects or images of your projects. They want to see your research.

I also will refute the conception that there are no Laurels with archery
recognition -
One of the things that brought Mistress Blitha of Wulfhau to the Laurel's
attention was her excellent research into Historical Archery targets and
then making them to be used.

As a member of the Order of the Laurel I know how much work it takes to
reach the level of the Societies Highest Award. I would LOVE to be the
sponsor of someone who is interested in the historical aspects of archery.
It's a field that not many take up. But YOU'VE got to be willing to do the
work. The occasional class won't cut it.

You want to be a Peer? Then by golly you've got to do the work.
You want a friend to be a Peer? Then by golly you've got to write the
letters.

Trust me on this one, the Peerages DO pay attention when a name is sent
thier way with good solid letters of recomendations and a record and/or
images of thier work.

yours,
Martelle